If you’ve read one of my blog posts ‘Little changes in my life that make a big difference.’ then you will have noticed that I’m one of them ones who have to be mindful of what my day includes and where my moods drop and peak so that I can keep myself productive and not crawl away into bed. I briefly mentioned in this post that I go to the gym, as exercise really is a big stress reliever for me, and I think I might be starting to get a bit more serious with it.
Regrettably, at first I looked at fitness inspo Instagrams and dreamed of looking like them with their boujee gym gear and beautiful bodies and as I was dreaming instead of doing I obviously couldn’t get anywhere. So, during this summer break, I have made it my goal to live a healthier lifestyle, where I am honest with myself and allow myself to have a good time while keeping fit and eating well. What I have been doing is going to the gym at the very least, twice a week but preferably 4-5 days a week. While the gym isn’t always vital for me and I don’t want to force myself to go if I am not at all motivated, I am really consciously trying to eat better.
Even though fitness Instagrams at first were not very productive for me, I have found a few girls that just radiate positivity, good health and progress so I follow them regularly and use a lot of their recommended workouts: @pineapplebrat and @nikkiblackketter .
So, I thought that in this post I would lay out a rough plan of what I’d like to change and how I’d like to change it.
What are my body goals?
- So I’d say I’m in alright shape as it is, but I definitely put on some cushioning in the last year and I’ve never really got rid of it. So I have excess fat that I could trim down around my waist and thighs. I mainly want to tone my abs, my back and get those Chun-li thighs. I’d also just like to be stronger in my arms and shoulders because I am ridiculously weak at the moment. Ever since I stopped doing dance to go to university my muscles have absolutely disappeared.
How am I going to get there?
- As I’ve already said during this summer I have been going to the gym 2-5 days a week.
- Here is what my gym time will look like:
- Each day I will, of course, stretch to warm up and cool down and cardio to get my sweat on and get in the zone for the gym. But, my general focus will be on my legs/bum and abs because they’re where I want to see the most progress.
- However, I really hate cardio, it’s not the act of doing it or the burn, it’s the breathing and feeling it leaves in my chest that I hate, so I’ve decided to do consistent and sustained cardio, where I do a fast walk on a high incline for 10-20 minutes depending on how I feel and then I sometimes use the Stairmaster as a halfway between cardio and a leg workout.
- *** Future edit Stevie: I’ve found a way to trick myself into doing cardio (bike, Stairmaster, fast walk on the treadmill) and that is by reading on my kindle while I do it. It distracts me from watching my time and calories burned so before I know it, I look up and I’ve achieved my set goal.
I also thought that there’s no point in me exercising regularly if I’m not going to watch what I am eating because a good diet will aid my body goals but also help my mood. Plus I’m always ill and run down so I think I may be missing out on some important vitamins…
I use an app called Lifesum that allows you to keep track of what your eating and provides the amount calories you are consuming and burning each day, as well as how much protein, carbs and fat you should be eating also. I’m not sure how accurate it really is, but even if it is just a rough indicator of my eating habits, I find it really useful to visualise my diet. It is definitely a motivator for me if at the end of the day I see how much crap I’ve eaten and all of my levels say I’m over the recommended intake, oops.
I’ve been conflicted as to whether to post about fitness and stuff because it doesn’t really fit with the theme of my blog or Instagram, but it’s something that I’m super invested in at the minute and I love seeing other people’s fitness journeys so I thought I would and see how it goes, I might post bits on my insta story or update posts on here about what things I’m trying out and how I’m progressing, we’ll see. 🙂
Thanks so much for taking a bit of time out of your day for reading! x